The Trump administration will soon announce a ban on most flavored e-cigarette cartridges, according to two officials familiar with the plans. The ban does not include menthol or tobacco-flavored products, but applies to fruit or dessert flavors.
“We’re going to protect our families, we’re going to protect our children and we’re going to protect the industry,” President Donald Trump told reporters at Mar-a-Lago on Tuesday, adding that some products could “very quickly” return to the market.
The ban is meant to allow for more research on the products, Trump said. It will apply to flavored cartridges but not tank systems that are sold in vape shops. Trump’s White House meeting on vaping results in contentious debateCartridge-based e-cigarettes have been popular among underage users. Juul, the leading e-cigarette maker, has previously stopped selling flavors including mint, mango, creme and cucumber.
Vaping advocates say a flavor sales ban would curtail some adult smokers’ efforts to quit, put small vaping companies out of business and eliminate jobs. A Trump campaign adviser previously told CNN that Trump’s political aides have warned him that such a ban may not be helpful with his base and that he should reconsider.