In a unique management set-up, city union the Engineers And Architects Association is being led by two Executive Directors.
After the surprising firing of union veteran and former Deputy Mayor Bill Violante (fired on day of the 125th anniversary celebration of the union), the Board of Governors once again hired Michael Davies as Interim Executive Director until the end of December 2019, when they expected to have hired a new permanent Executive Director, which they did in selecting controversial political consultant Stephen Belhumeur, a protégé of longtime politician Mark Ridley-Thomas.
However, as of this past January 6, 2020, there are two EDS!
Davies remains in the ED’s office making $180,000 and Stephen sits in a smaller office making $165,000. And he gets to report to the union office after 12 noon, while Davies reports first thing in the morning.
The union has 5200 eligible members (although only 30% are signed post Janus v. AFSCME) and the current Board of Governors are facing nine charges of financial malfeasance filed back in September 2019 by steward Don Jojola (they stalled any investigation so affiliated union IBEW Local 11 is now conducting the investigation).
In the last election in December BOG president Saturday Asuain was roundly defeated as a Board member and Unit Council member, and Board member Yul Johnson chose not to run for reelection. The BOG currently faces a recall campaign to turnout the remaining Board members.Fed up at the EAA
- 11-year-old boy reported missing in Compton
- Teachers union files unfair practice charge against LAUSD
- Authorities ID woman killed on freeway in Compton area
- Man shot to death in Lynwood
- California Credit Union seeks to fund grants for class projects
- Body found hanging from tree in Griffith Park
- How to organize your restaurant’s refrigerator
- Letter to the Editor: Inglewood council aide’s jumping ship