Inglewood Mayor James T. Butts Jr. has made good on threats to remove certain duties from the office of the city’s treasurer. Butts and Wanda Brown have engaged in a steady discourse where she has attempted to reveal alleged mismanagement of federal grants and bond proceeds.
The city’s finance director David Esparza is seeking to amend and repeal portions of the city’s municipal code to strip Brown of both additional duties and the additional pay they come with.
Actions the Finance Director is taking are as follows:
- Amend IMC 2-246 to assign the mayor authority to execute bank agreements;
- Repeal IMC 2-277.1- removing the treasurer as General Auditor and putting that duty back under the City Clerk, who is alleged to not even have a high school diploma;
- Amend IMC 8-27- removing the treasurer from the Permits & Licenses Committee
- Amend IMC 10-44- to have a cash or bond guarantee construction deposited with the Finance Department (cash) or City Clerk (bond) **this coincides with Brown’s claim of a $77,000+ issue with a deposit related to Pinner Construction
- Adopt a revised and updated Investment Policy and Procedures delegating the authority of the Finance Director to invest all city funds except for an amount no greater than $50,000 by the city treasurer
Wanda Brown currently earns a monthly salary of nearly $7900, and with the removal of the above mentioned duties her salary will ultimately reduced to the amount outlined in IMC Section 2-277 which is $404 per month.
Butts has a documented pattern of retaliating against women, in the Finance Department, who dispute his vivid imaginations about the city’s solvency.
He can’t fire the treasurer, like he did the former accounting manager, so he’s going to reduce her pay as an act of vengeance, which is not the type of person you want leading a city.
For the first time, in nearly two years, it was decided that City Manager Artie Fields signature wouldn’t be forged on this staff report, with Public Works Director/Assistant City Manager Luis Atwell signing “FOR” Fields.
In fact EVERY staff report, on the September 15, 2020, regular city council agenda is signed by Atwell FOR Fields.
View the staff report here.