SANTA ANA, Calif. – A 59-year-old homeless man was sentenced to 30 years to life in prison for killing another transient in a Salvation Army shelter in Anaheim, according to court records obtained Monday.
Alvaro Mendoza Sahagun, who was sentenced Friday, was given 790 days credit for time behind bars awaiting trial. He was convicted of second-degree murder June 21, 2022, in the March 14, 2021, stabbing of 36-year-old Marcos Zavala at the shelter in the 1400 block of South Salvation Place.
The victim and his wife had been arguing loudly that evening, prompting the defendant to ask Zavala to step outside, where he stabbed him, prosecutors contended in a trial brief.
Sahagun claimed the victim rushed him, but one witness said he heard the defendant say, “I just couldn’t take it anymore,” prosecutors said.
Witnesses said Zavala was heard saying, “You stabbed me.”