SAN PEDRO, Calif. – Royal Palms Beach in San Pedro will be closed Sunday due to a shooting at a barbecue that left five men wounded, one critically, authorities said.
The shooting was reported at 5:45 p.m. Saturday at Paseo Del Mar and Graysby Avenue, according to Los Angeles Police Department Officer Warren Moore.
Two suspects approached the men and an altercation ensued that led to the shooting, police said.
The injured men were ages 15, 28, 45 and 51, according to media reports.
“We’re outraged and saddened by the shooting at Royal Palms Beach in San Pedro that has left five people injured,” Supervisor Janice Hahn said in a joint statement with Los Angeles City Councilman Tim McOsker. “It’s tragically ironic that today we hosted a gun buy-back event just a few miles away from this location. Gun violence is wreaking havoc on our community.”
Royal Palms Beach will be closed Sunday and will close earlier on weekends “as we work on plans together to ensure safety and peaceful community use,” Hahn and McOsker said in the statement.
Four of the wounded men were taken to hospitals by paramedics, Moore said. One victim was taken to a hospital in a private vehicle.
One victim was in critical condition and the other four had stable vital signs, police said.
The LAPD confirmed the shootings were the result of an altercation.
The two suspects fled in a silver sedan, police said.
Moore told the Los Angeles Times the suspect has been described as a man in his 20s with a buzz haircut, wearing all black, including a black mask, and is believed to have fired a semiautomatic handgun.
“We’re outraged and saddened by the shooting at Royal Palms Beach in San Pedro that has left five people injured,” Hahn said in a joint statement with Los Angeles City Councilman Tim McOsker” part of the article is confusing. Who is Hahn? Praying for speedy recovery for all injured in this senseless violence. .