A UCLA graduate was found dead in an Airbnb in Guadalajara, Mexico, in December 2021 that the short-term rental hosting platform attempted to cover up.
Daisy Saucedo a recent graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) lost her life on December 20, 2021, during a Christmas vacation in the Torre Mexico Villas de San from carbon monoxide poisoning while bathing. Daisy was enrolled at Loyola Marymount University pursuing a graduate degree at the time of her death.
She is the fourth American to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the last year.
Kandace Florence, 28, from Virginia Beach, Jordan Marshall, 28, and Courtez Hall, 29, from New Orleans were found dead on October 30 inside the Airbnb home they were renting out in Cuajimalpa de Morelos, and Angélica Arce, 29, was also found dead October 30, in an Airbnb, while visiting Mexico City for the Mexico Grand Prix.
A lawsuit filed in California Superior Court by her parents states “Her lifeless body was discovered face down in the shower with the water still running by her fiancé David Alejandro Leon Plafox about 3:00 p.m. after having to break down the front door to gain access to the unit.
On October 23, 2021, Daisy booked a stay at Torre Mexico Villas de San Javier from December 8, 2021, through January 8, 2022. On December 20, 2022, the day of her death, deadly carbon monoxide gasses penetrated and engulfed the Airbnb.
According to the lawsuit, “Daisy’s body was found naked, face down in the shower with the water running”.
Daisy a beautiful, driven, and incredibly bright recent graduate of UCLA enjoyed teaching part-time and had a dream of teaching English in Mexico with her fiancé David who lived in Guadalajara, Mexico, who she would visit 3-4 times a year since 2020. She would rent the Airbnb near his place of employment to stay during her visit.
John Harris of Harris & Hayden law firm states, “Airbnb glorifies homes for international travel by making it a prime attraction on its website, highlighting bathrooms and other amenities.”
Her fiancé David arrived home for lunch and could smell fumes omitting from the unit. Once inside, he found Daisy’s lifeless body in the shower and immediately began to perform CPR on her but his efforts were unsuccessful.
Shortly after paramedics arrived they continued to administer lifesaving measures that were unsuccessful. Daisy was pronounced dead by the local coroner shortly after.
Daisy’s death certificate states she suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and asphyxiation resulting in her tragic death.
The family is seeking $35 million in damages.
Mexico law doesn’t require apartments to have carbon monoxide detectors in their units so it’s IMPERATIVE that if you are considering staying in an Airbnb while in Mexico you MUST purchase a portable carbon monoxide detector for your own safety.
In fact, you should purchase the detector for not just an Airbnb but for ANY vacation rental you are staying in.
You can purchase carbon monoxide detectors here.