UA-40932197-1

Inglewood triple shooting suspect lawyer was previously disbarred?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Scott Marguis Justin was detained for questioning in a shooting in Inglewood, where a lone gunman fired at three people in an apartment, killing 18-year-old Crystallyn Nguyen. (Associated Press  / October 9, 2013)

Scott Marquis Justin was detained for questioning in a shooting in Inglewood, where a lone gunman fired at three people in an apartment, killing 18-year-old Crystallyn Nguyen. (Associated Press / October 9, 2013)

Double murder charges were dropped against 19-year-old Justin Marquis Scott from Compton, CA.  A Los Angeles Superior Court viewed several video surveillance tapes and approved the prosecutors motion to drop the charges.  It was visibly clear Scott couldn’t possibly be in both Compton and Inglewood at the same time. 

The Scott family, along with community activist Najee Ali, held a press conference in front of Inglewood’s City Hall in response to the court vindicating Scott.

What’s interesting about Scott’s attorney, Juliette Robinson, she has had her law license revoked for failure to properly account for her victims funds.  From the CalBar Journal:

JULIETTE ROBINSON [#147539], 48, of Corona was suspended for two years, stayed, placed on two years of probation with a 90-day actual suspension and she was ordered to take the MPRE within one year and comply with rule 9.20 of the California Rules of Court. The order took  effect Feb. 11, 2011.

 

Robinson  successfully completed the Alternative Discipline Program after demonstrating a connection between her mental health issues and her misconduct. She stipulated  that she failed to promptly pay out client funds, maintain client funds in a trust account, respond to clients’ status inquiries, perform legal services competently or cooperate with the bar’s investigation, and she committed acts of moral turpitude by misappropriating client funds.

 

Although she  submitted a government claims form for one client’s personal injury case, she did no further work on the matter and she did not return the client’s numerous phone calls or keep him apprised of developments in the case. She settled a personal injury case but misappropriated $8,258, almost all the settlement funds.

 

Had those tapes not existed, including the one at his mother’s house, he would have likely ended up on death row.

 

 


2 Responses so far.

  1. Blah says:

    And where was the Compton NAACP? I guess it wasn’t enough cameras, interviews and spots in the newpapers for them to get involved. #NothingHasChanged

    • 2UrbanGirls says:

      You pose a great question “blah”. I asked community activist Najee Ali if the Compton NAACP or the Inglewood NAACP has made any comment on this situation.
      The more important issue being overlooked is the fact that the victims family most likely identified Mr. Scott as the shooter. Why would the family blatantly lie?

About 2urbangirls

2 Urban Girls has been cited in City Watch LA, Compton Herald, Daily News, Inglewood Today, Intersections South LA, KCRW, KPCC, Los Angeles Times, LA Weekly, LA Watts Times, Mercury News and The Atlantic.

Copyright © 2011 - 2018 Urban Girl Media All Rights Reserved.